What is a European Green Pass?

22 Oct 2021 - Category: Blog /
what is greenpass

The past year and a half has been difficult for people all around the world as countries have tried to deal with the pandemic. Different countries have taken different approaches to handling lockdown measures and the vaccine rollout.

Now, as vaccination levels rise, more countries are opening up to travel.

In order to travel to some countries in Europe you have to prove that you have been vaccinated. And when you’re in some countries you will also have to show a certificate or a negative test to access certain venues or events.

In this blog, we’ll briefly highlight a number of topics concerning the European green pass, including:

  • What is a European green pass?
  • How can you get a green pass/certificate?
  • Which countries in Europe ask visitors for a green pass?
  • How Small World can help

What is a European green pass?

A green pass is a paper document or app that proves that you have either been fully vaccinated or that you have recovered from COVID-19. With a green pass, you are granted access to indoor cafés, restaurants, bars, and other indoor venues. Many countries around Europe are using similar systems to ensure that businesses are able to remain safe from COVID-19.

For EU countries you can get an EU Digital COVID certificate that can be stored on a mobile device, and it is the most convenient way to record your COVID status. This certificate will verify the fact that you have been vaccinated against COVID-19, you have received a negative result or that you have recovered from COVID-19.

To learn more about the EU Digital Covid certificate, visit the official European Commission website.

How can you get a green pass/certificate?

The national authority of your country will be in charge of giving you a green pass or certificate. They can be issued by test centres or health authorities.

An EU vaccination certificate will be issued by the country where you received the vaccine. So, for example if you received a COVID-19 vaccine in France and you live in France then you will receive a vaccination certificate from the French health authority.

You can have a digital version, and you can also request a paper version. Both versions will have a QR code that contains the vital information and a signature that shows the authenticity of the document.

Which countries in Europe ask visitors for a green pass?

The situation with COVID-19 is constantly changing and countries are tackling the pandemic in different ways. As of September 2021 there are a number of European countries that still require proof of COV-19 vaccination in order to enter certain venues. However, the European Green Pass/ EU Digital COVID Certificate facilitates safe free movement inside all EU countries

Below is a list of the various countries in Europe that use the EU Digital COVID Certificate (EUDCC) and some of the additional information you may need to access venues in those countries:

  • Austria

In order to enter restaurants, theatres, hotels, sport facilities, barbershops and hair salons you must bring some proof of vaccination, a negative test of certificate to show that you have recovered from COVID-19 and no longer have it.

  • Belgium

Both tourists and Belgian residents can apply for COVID Safe Ticket for large outdoor events. To receive this Safe Ticket you have to be fully vaccinated, have proof of recovery from COVID-19, have a negative PCR test or a negative antigen test.

  • Cyprus

If you are planning on visiting restaurants, bars or other indoor venues in Cyprus you have a Corona Pass which is also known as a Safe Pass. This pass proves that you have been vaccinated for over three weeks or that you have returned a negative test.

  • Denmark

You need a Coronapas for any indoor dining or indoor event and this pass holds the same requirements as the EUDCC.

  • France

Visitors to indoor hospitality venues with a capacity of more than 50 people are required to show a green pass. Similarly, you also need a green pass to attend any events with a capacity of over 1000 people. To learn more about the specific requirements see the official coronavirus advice page for foreign nationals in France.

  • Germany

To enter indoor venues you must be able to show your EUDCC. Currently, green passes are mandatory in areas that have over 35 COVID cases per 100,000 people. Children under 6 are exempt from these requirements.

See the official website of The Federal Government of Germany for more information regarding freedom of movement and coronavirus.

  • Greece

Greece has their own separate Covid Pass app which you can use to show that you have been vaccinated or that you have returned a negative COVID test. You need to have this app to enter indoor restaurants, cafes and bars.

The Greek government also has a Freedom Pass which has been used to encourage young people, aged 18 to 25, to get vaccinated.

  • Italy

You need a green pass to attend any public, indoor venue in Italy. Their green pass acts as an extension of the EUDCC and enables people to attend venues and large gatherings such as parties and sporting events. To obtain a pass you must have had at least one dose of the vaccine or be able to present a recent negative test.

  • Spain

Spain does not have a green pass requirement however the region of Galicia and the Canary Islands do. An EUDCC is not required to move around the country however some venues and events may request a certificate or a negative test.

Other countries that require some form of green pass or proof of vaccination to enter venues include the Netherlands, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Slovenia and Hungary. Further information on the up-to-date status of all of these countries can be found on their respective government websites.

There are also sixteen non-EU countries that also joined the EU Digital COVID Certificate system, including:

  • Albania
  • Andorra
  • Switzerland
  • Faroe Islands
  • Israel
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Morocco
  • Monaco
  • North Macedonia
  • Norway
  • Panama
  • San Marino
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
  • The Vatican

How Small World can help

Small World is an international money transfer service that caters to immigrants around the world. We care about improving financial accessibility for immigrants and know how important it has been during the pandemic to be able to quickly and securely send money overseas.

Using the information above you can now visit your family and friends if they live in European countries. But even if you can’t visit, you can use Small World to support them from overseas by making simple and secure money transfers.

To learn more about how Small World can help you, visit here.

Cookies Policy

At Small World, we use own and third-party cookies to give you the best browsing experience possible, as well as being able to analyse your browsing behaviour. You can accept all cookies by clicking the "ACCEPT ALL COOKIES" button or configure or reject their use by clicking the "COOKIE SETTINGS" button. Click on our Cookie Policy for more information