Living and working in Spain is a dream for many. The country's food, its climate and the expansion of teleworking is for many a combination of elements that is difficult to resist.
That is why the Spanish government has created the digital nomad visa. If you are interested in relocating to Spain and working there under the sun, find out all about this new residence permit and how you can benefit from it.
- What is a Spain Digital Nomad Visa?
- How to get a digital nomad visa in Spain?
- Eligibility criteria for the Spain digital nomad visa for Non-EU citizens
- How can I apply for a digital nomad visa?
- Major benefits of digital nomad visa in Spain
- Do I still need to pay taxes in Spain as a digital nomad?
- Want to send money from Spain? Use Small World Money Transfer App
What is a Spain Digital Nomad Visa?
Spain is already popular with remote workers due to its low cost of living and high-speed internet. The digital nomad visa would allow remote workers to live in Spanish territory for a year and can be renewed for up to five years if the application meets the criteria.
It is kind of a residency visa for digital nomads (remote employees, business owners, or freelancers) who want to live and work remotely in Spain. Foreigners who want to move to Spain and continue working for a company in another country, or who have clients all over the world, may obtain a residence permit that is ideally fitted to their demands.
How to get a digital nomad visa in Spain?
This visa is specifically designed for foreign remote workers from countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA), as citizens of the European Union or Schengen nations can operate remotely in Spain for up to six months without the need to officially register. If they want to extend this period, they must apply for a visa.
To obtain a digital nomad visa, however, you must be an international remote worker, i.e. a foreign citizen working for companies based outside of Spanish territory, or an independent professional who works remotely via digital means, with a limit of 20% of income coming from Spain.
Eligibility criteria for the Spain digital nomad visa for Non-EU citizens
- The Employees whose employers allow them to travel and work remotely from another country.
- You have two alternatives for showing that you have the necessary experience and education to proceed the application. Prior to application, either showcase 3 years of work-related experience or be a graduate or post-graduate from a renowned institution, or business schools of good reputation.
- Applicants must not have held Spanish resident status in the five years preceding their application.
- Applicants must have at least one year of experience working remotely.
- Applicants must be covered by private health insurance that is valid across Spain.
- You must have a monthly income of €2,160 or a yearly income of €25,920.
- Applicants must provide proof of residence for their stay in Spain.
- A passport with validity for at least three months.
- Duly completed application form.
- Two passport-sized photos.
- Clean and clear criminal record in the country of origin and other countries of residence in the previous five years.
- Not appear as reject able in the territorial space of nations with which Spain has signed a similar agreement.
- Not being in the voluntary no-return period to Spain.
- Not having any of the diseases that can have major public health consequences.
How can I apply for a digital nomad visa?
- It is possible to apply from your home country's Spanish consulate for a one-year visa and subsequently apply for a three-year residence permit.
- It is also possible to apply directly from Spain as a tourist and acquire a three-year permit (renewable for two years).
- You will benefit from a fast-track application, which means you will receive a favorable response in just 20 days.
- Then, for the final step, you need to go to the police station to register your fingerprints and acquire your physical residency card.
- The visa processing fee is non-refundable; you will not be compensated if your visa application is denied.
- If your visa application is denied, you have 30 days to appeal directly with the embassy or consulate where you applied.
- You cannot presently apply for a digital nomad visa in Spain online. Some firms, however, will operate as an intermediary for you when applying for your visa and may accept online payment.
Major benefits of digital nomad visa in Spain
- Fast application procedure.
You will receive a response to your visa application very quickly. The application process can take anything from 15 to 45 days.
- Family members are welcome to join you.
Family members such as your spouse, partner, or children under the age of 18 can come with you to Spain under the digital nomad visa scheme.
- Digital nomad tax regime.
During their first four years in Spain, digital nomads will be subject to a 15% tax instead of the regular base of 24%.
- Travel opportunities.
With the Spain digital nomad visa, you can travel to other Schengen countries without a visa.
- Low living expenses.
Despite its reputation as one of the world's costliest regions, particularly in terms of housing, Spain is quite inexpensive.
Do I still need to pay taxes in Spain as a digital nomad?
Yes, but the tax regime in Spain benefits international digital nomads. You will be taxed as an expat digital nomad in Spain under the revised Non-resident Income Tax Regime, which helps you to save tax.
In comparison to the standard resident income tax rates (IRPF) in Spain, you will pay substantially less in non-resident income tax (IRNR). During your first four years in Spain, you will be subject to a 15% tax instead of the regular base of 24%.
In order to be eligible for the non-resident tax, you must apply to the Spanish Tax Agency within the first six months of receiving your digital nomad visa.
What are the charges or fee for Spain digital nomad visa?
It costs only €80 to apply for a Spain digital nomad visa.
Want to send money from Spain? Use Small World Money Transfer App
Small World Money Transfer App allows you to send payments to friends, family and businesses all around the world, right from your phone or smart device. One of the major benefits of using this app is convenience, because it gives customers the benefit of remitting whenever they need to, wherever they are, which is wonderful news for digital nomad freelancers and business owners. With Small World Money Transfer, you can pay staff, receive money from customers, and manage accounts in multiple countries in just a few clicks.