Guide to Obtaining British Citizenship for Children

15 Dec 2023 - Category: Blog /
ukcitizenship children

Getting British citizenship for your children can be a bit of a puzzle, but it's all doable if you know the main requisites. Basically, your little ones can become British citizens either by being born here or through a registration process. Now, there's a compilation of rules and paperwork to wrap your head around, but it boils down to proving that your child has ties to the UK, like through your own nationality or meeting certain residency criteria.

Yes, it sounds a bit bureaucratic, but once you get to know it, you will be on your way to giving your kids the perks that come with being legit Brits. So, let's break down the nitty-gritty and get you started on the adventure of making your kids official members of the British crew!.


When a minor may apply to be registered as a British citizen

Parents who want to formally register their non-British kid under the age of eighteen for British citizenship use the MN1 application form. Currently, £1,012 must be paid to the Home Office to file for form MN1—the application for registration as a British citizen.

If your child becomes a citizen, you will need to pay an extra £80 for a citizenship ceremony if they turn 18 during the application process. MN1 applications are typically processed in 8 to 12 weeks; however, incomplete or more complicated applications may require a longer processing time.

A person who applies to register as a British citizen does so based on their entitlement to citizenship in this nation under British nationality legislation. In some situations, a minor may apply to be registered as a British citizen, such as when they:

  • Are born in the United Kingdom to parents who have subsequently relocated here or obtained British citizenship.
  • Were born in the United Kingdom to parents who enlisted in the military.
  • Possess parents who intend to petition for British citizenship.
  • Were born outside of the United Kingdom to parents of British ancestry who had previously resided in the United Kingdom or a British foreign territory.
  • Were born outside the UK to parents who immigrated to the UK or a British overseas territory and are of British ancestry.
  • Have been adopted by British nationals living overseas.
  • Having parents who abandoned their British citizenship at the time of their birth and then went back to doing so, this can demonstrate that granting the child British citizenship is in their best interests.
  • Were born overseas to parents who were in the military.

Further alternatives for minors

Other choices for minors who are not able to use form MN1 to apply for registration as British citizens could be:

  • A kid's visa through the family immigration pathway.
  • Naturalisation for British citizenship based on UK residency.
  • According to the EU Settlement Scheme, an individual with settled status.
  • A person without a state application.

In cases where extraordinary circumstances (such as when a government department or local authority committed a mistake, or when the law made an unfavourable decision in the past) apply to consult an immigration counsel to learn more about your child's choices for becoming a citizen depending on their particular situation if you are unclear of the best course of action.

Things to look about before applying for an MN1

MN1 must be properly completed to submit an application for registration of your child as a British citizen. Prior to filing an application using form MN1, we advise confirming the following:

Verify the requirements for eligibility to register

The Home Office's MN1 guidance notes provide specific guidelines for who can apply for registration as a British citizen. It also explains who is automatically granted British citizenship, negating the necessity for registration applications. It is imperative to verify your child's eligibility for registration as a British citizen and ensure they fulfil all the required requirements. For instance, some requirements might need to be fulfilled, such as the child's birthdate and place.

Before submitting the registration form, consult an immigration lawyer if you are unclear about which category applies or if your child may already be a British citizen by default.

Verify that you have the paperwork needed to register

The particular category that your child falls into for registration as a British citizen will determine the documents you need to provide with your application. Which documents to submit is explained in the form MN1 advice.

For instance, if your child was born abroad to British nationals, you must supply:

  • Both parents' names are listed on the child's birth certificate.
  • The marriage certificate of the parents.
  • The passport or birth certificate of the British parent.
  • The passport, registration or naturalisation certificate, or birth certificate of the British grandparents.
  • The document of marriage of the child's grandparents.
  • Proof of residency.
  • Proof that the child's British parent resided in the UK for three years before the child's birth.
  • Proof proving the kid and both parents resided in the United Kingdom for three years before the application date.
  • Please be aware that the list of documents above only addresses one circumstance and is not all-inclusive. For additional information, get in touch with our immigration attorneys.

Verify whether your kid will forfeit their other nationality

We also advise you to find out what will happen to your child's previous nationalities in the event that their application for British citizenship is approved before filing form MN1 on their behalf. If your child becomes a citizen of another country, they can instantly lose their nationality, depending on the specific country.

What takes place following the MN1 application?

Following submission of your child's application for British citizenship, receipt of all required paperwork, and payment of the application fee, the Home Office will assess the case and render a determination.

A decision letter informing them of the outcome—whether they were accepted as citizens or rejected—will be delivered after the decision is made. If they are 18 years of age or older and have been given citizenship, they will be invited to attend a citizenship ceremony (it is not required for those who are younger). As a British citizen, your child can now seek a British passport as well.

You might be able to reapply or request a reconsideration of the decision if your child's MN1 application is denied. The path you pursue at this point will depend on the reasons the application was turned down and whether you can present enough proof to refute those grounds.

How to send money from the UK with Small World

Using the Small World Money Transfer App while in the UK provides multiple advantages and comforts to both British nationals and non-British residents. At first, this app makes it easy to transfer money both domestically and internationally. Whether sending money to friends, family, or businesses in the UK or abroad, this app provides quick transactions, often within minutes.

Furthermore, Small World Money Transfer App provides competitive exchange rates and cheaper fees when compared to banks. This makes it a low-cost choice for money transfers, particularly for non-British residents transferring money to their home nations or doing international transactions.

That’s why using online money transfer apps in Britain is advantageous due to its speed, cost-effectiveness, accessibility, and security, which meet the needs of both British nationals and non-British residents. Download the app now!

Cookies Policy

At Small World, we use own and third-party cookies to give you the best browsing experience possible, as well as being able to analyse your browsing behaviour. You can accept all cookies by clicking the "ACCEPT ALL COOKIES" button or configure or reject their use by clicking the "COOKIE SETTINGS" button. Click on our Cookie Policy for more information